Friday, November 21, 2008

RE: Reviews

Well, I finished the video I've been working on, but I think I should preface this with a little backstory.

I haven't talked about it yet, but I got No More Heroes recently. I absolutely love the game, despite its flaws. Its innovative and fun combat, mixed into a story full of colorful characters, make this a memorable gaming experience.

Now, I realize that's not exactly an in-depth game review, but I've decided once and for all that I am never going to attempt to write a real video game review for a game I've played. The logic behind this decision is pretty simple:

  1. To begin with, from Ctrl-Alt-Del to ZeroPunctuation, from IGN to IrateGamer, from Gametrailers to GameLife, everyone and their mother thinks they can and should review games. The fact of the matter is, anyone who really wants to research a title before buying it does not need my opinion to help their decision. There is already plenty of information out there to help people with their gaming purchases. Doing my own game reviews would just be a waste of everyone's time. I'll draw the line at Sci-fi B-movies, but as for any other reviews, I want no part.

  2. If I get into reviewing games, or even B-movies, on a regular basis, I'll start to trick myself into thinking anyone gives a fuck about my opinion. What's worse, this will quickly inflate my ego and turn me into yet another irate, overly-opinionated jackass. If my time on the Internet has proven anything to me, it's that we already have more than enough of those.

  3. Honestly, I have no objectivity when it comes to gaming. Gaming is in my blood; I've been addicted since the original NES days of my innocent youth. As such, I'm in love with all things gaming, and I'm often unable to see the inherent flaws in the things I love. Hell, this shouldn't be news to you. You know me: I never got an original playstation, but I loved my used Sega Saturn. I never wanted to try Devil May Cry, but I thought God Hand was a gift from above. I reject Final Fantasy, and I still think Baten Kaitos is the greatest RPG franchise of our time. So, clearly, I'm in no position to tell other people what's good and what's bad.


Anyway, with that said, I really enjoyed No More Heroes, and I liked it enough to make a new music video out of it. There might be some minor spoilers, but nothing that should ruin it for anyone who hasn't played it yet. You should be aware, though, that the game is M-rated, so if you have problems with seeing blood or partial nudity, I suggested you suck it up, you big pussy.

As usual, the music is from Bullets and Octane. Rock on, my brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment