Saturday, December 07, 2013

On Various Things

I haven't updated here in a while, so I thought I'd knock out something quickly tonight. If any of these topics are worth expanding, I'll see about giving them a proper post tomorrow.


Hey, have I written a rant yet about the fact that people like and share images so much on social media sites that now everybody seems to think that powerful quotes and interesting stories and statistics have to be presented in image form just to get noticed? Well, I'm not going to write a full rant about it, because it's so infuriating that I don't think I can find something funny or poignant to harp on. Suffice it to say that I don't need a big colorful picture to catch my interest before I'll click on a headline, because I'm not a god damn three-year-old whose attention is drawn solely by shiny things. Seriously, how much longer until they design pop-up ads that jingle keys in our faces and play peek-a-boo?

I haven't kept this blog up-to-date on my Dark Souls progress and/or my de-fatassing progress. I'm still playing (and working out) when I can find the time, but last month I slacked off a bit, at least partly due to illness, and partly due to my own laziness. I've carefully logged my play sessions, and have an assortment of tales of foolhardy bravery and cowardice, unlikely success and crushing failure. The only question at this point is whether I actually want to construct that stupid calendar graphic again or not. I'm leaning toward not at this point. A simple table is probably easier on the eyes anyway.

Work is still great. I practically never stop learning. If my misguided ambition to create a webcomic ever rears its head again, I am positive I could personally build a great website for it at this point. Drupal seems like a really great option, both for the flexibility and the ease of configuration through a browser, and if I decided I wanted to actually code something, I'd still be able to have fun screwing around with the CSS. I'd have to learn PHP before I could develop my own modules, which is unlikely right now, but it's certainly not out of the question.

Oh, and the police came to my house this week. For the sake of protecting others' privacy, I'd rather not share the details. The important point is that nobody is going to jail or anything like that, but my family, our dogs, and the guys working on the siding got a bit of unwelcome excitement, and the reason for it was rather stupid. Maybe I'll address the issues surrounding it another time.

That'll do it for tonight. There may be more to come soon, but I make no promises and leave no regrets. Peace and love, readers on the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment