Wednesday, May 17, 2006

My baby takes the morning train...

So, I’ve been done with finals and free of my freshman year of college no more than 5 days and already my mother is bugging me again. As it turns out, money does not grow on trees, nor are my parents made of money. So, if I want to continue going to college, I’m going to have to get one of these things I’ve been hearing so much about. What do they call them… jobs? Yes, I think that’s it.

I really don’t mind getting a job. Hell, I’ve got the whole summer ahead of me, so what’s 10-15 hours a week, right? The part that bothers me is trying to get the job in the first place. Last year, my summer job hunt was a total disaster. I dropped applications and held interviews left and right, but no one wanted me. In late August, I managed to get a little paid internship in Albany, but that was in no part due to my own effort. I always found that rather strange: I get rejected from every supermarket, fast food restaurant and video store in Burnt Hills, but the New York State Senate seemed to think I was perfect for the $7-an-hour internship in the photography department, where I basically got paid to exist. I actually ended up doing real work not because I was required to, but out of the sheer guilt I felt for being paid to sit on my ass surfing the internet, and occasionally walking outside to take pictures for an hour.

As far as this year goes, I don’t care too much what job I get, as long as I get something. I just don’t want to be rejected all around again. If I am shunned from the fast food industry, then I’ll know I’ve hit rock-bottom. Okay, that’s a bit of an exaggeration. Being without a summer job isn’t that bad. I probably won’t have hit rock-bottom until I drop out of college, get hooked on booze and crack, and catch a few STDs. However, that’s not in my plans. I’m definitely not dropping out of college, and I’m not going to drink or do drugs. As far as the STDs go, well, there’s a ton of hot chicks at Marist, so no promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment