Thursday, March 19, 2009

FVZA Will Kick Twilight's Pansy Ass

Outside of videogames and webcomics, I haven't experienced much decent zombie fiction in the last few years. And vampires... well, we know what's been happening to that once-proud horror niche. But finally, it looks like we'll be going back to the roots of what made us all fall in love with zombies and vampires in the first place.

I don't know about you, but I've visited FVZA.org on and off for a couple years. It was a fun resource when I was first getting into this stuff (before I purchased my own copy of the Zombie Survival Guide), but as the site saw a decrease in updates and I got caught up in other things, I had kind of forgotten about it.

Now, I hear the fantastic news that the FVZA concept is being made into a comic, and from what writer David Hine is saying about the project, I can barely stop salivating at the prospect.

David Hine interview with Newsarama, along with new artwork samples from the series:

True fans of horror like me are sickened by what Twilight has done to vampires' reputations, and thank God somebody in the biz is looking to set things right. Regarding the romanticizing of vampires, Hines said:

"Vampires usually exert a fascination and are often romanticized but I wanted to take the romance out of their existence. These are not sexy, seductive vampires in the manner of Twilight. Our vampires are truly monstrous and unattractive. Their hair falls out, their bodies become twisted and cadaverous and they have no interest in sex. We’re going to be following a young couple, who are into the goth fantasy of vampirism. One of the tragic elements of the story is to see how the constant joyless pursuit of blood gradually destroys their love for one another."

I'm officially psyched. The first comic book in the series is slated for release in October. I guess until then I'll have to keep getting my zombie fix from the usual suspects.

No comments: