Monday, April 17, 2006

Easter Madness

Ah, Easter. The holiday when we celebrate the day Jesus came back from the dead and appeared before his disciples as a giant rabbit, and told them to paint all the eggs weird colors and hide them in their back yards while feasting on chocolate and candy. Or something like that.

Anyway, I've got a few things on my mind during this joyous holiday. First off, why is it that no matter how full I am after Easter dinner, I always want to gorge myself on Cadbury eggs? I swear, I give myself indigestion every year from too much candy and chocolates, but I can't seem to help myself. The Cadbury cream eggs have some kind of choco-psychic hold on my mind, and I can't stop eating them until I'm full to bursting.

Second, this is sort of old, but I still want to know why we celebrate the resurrection of Christ with colorful eggs and candy. Really, how off-topic can a holiday become? I mean, Christmas got pretty out of hand with Santa and elves and 25% off sales, but at least the spirit of the season, the spirit of giving, peace on earth and good will towards men (and women as well, or else the feminists will riot), is still in the holiday. Easter, on the other hand, seems to have somewhat lost it's spirit. Yeah, we still sort of celebrate Jesus' resurrection, but searching for colorful eggs and stuffing yourself with chocolate rabbits and jelly beans just doesn't feel like a proper celebration to me. It feels like easy marketing for big candy companies. At least we know they're having a happy holiday.

Speaking of marketing, I saw "Thank You For Smoking" over the weekend. I highly recommend it. The ticket prices are murder, but it's full of laugh out loud moments.

Alright, that's about it for now. My radio show is still on (barring another unforseen incident) for this Wednesday at 4:00 pm EST, so tune in if you're bored. Go to http://www.maristradio.com/webcast.html and click the AM link to listen to the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment