Saturday, July 01, 2006

When it hails, it pours

This past Thursday, June 29th, I went into Sears portrait studio and filled out an application. It must have been my lucky day, as I got to meet the manager, and she set up an interview right away. I could barely contain my excitement. Finally, I was going to get a job, and a job I could tolerate. As I left the building, I joyously exclaimed, "It's a bright and sun-shiny day!"

A few hours later, my neighborhood got hit with a monster hail storm. How big is "monster", you ask? Click here and see for yourself. I put a few next to some loose change so you'd have a frame of reference.

Now, picture a couple million of those falling out of the sky, which is filled with black storm clouds. They really did a number on my mom's flowers, as well as the paint on our house.



Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

However, the worst part had to be the trees. Oh, God, the trees. One was completely uprooted. Another hit our storage shed. Yet another came within inches of crushing my living room and/or impaling the AC unit next to the house.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Somehow, this lone soccer ball in the front yard completely escaped harm. This one I will never understand.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

And for fun, here's one with my sister posing by the mangled tree trunk.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Most of these were taken the same day. I wasn't able to upload them until now because of a rather lengthy power outage. Talk about a living hell. I could only read until it got dark. The rest of the night left me utterly bored to tears. I sat in the living room, surrounded by candles, playing chess with my mom. And I lost. I ask you, how will I ever live that down?

Well, I guess that's about it. The next day was the interview. It turns out I was more than qualified for the job, but they were looking for someone to work in the fall, during which time I'll be at Marist again. So, I didn't get the job. Man, when it hails, it pours.

No comments:

Post a Comment