Monday, February 05, 2007

You're As Cold As Ice

This is basically just a repost of something I said on a forum earlier today.

I don't know the exact temp outside, but according to the widget on my desktop, it's between 16 degrees and 6 degrees Fahrenheit. Of course, that's without wind chill. Something few people know about Poughkeepsie is that it gets really windy in the winter. I mean, really windy. I have had an umbrella torn apart in a rainstorm before because of this wind. Wind that can twist and snap the metal arms of an open umbrella apart; that's hardcore wind.

So, today I am walking outside in 3 layers of clothing: tshirt, sweatshirt, and my winter coat. I have my hood up and a hat on my head. I'm heading back to my room after class, and I am reminded of yet another fascinating quality of the wind in Poughkeepsie: no matter where I'm going, the wind is always directed in the opposite direction, so I get hit full in the face with it. At full speed, the wind becomes so biting that you can actually feel it stabbing right through the fibers of all 3 layers, right through the skin into my very core. Not a pleasant sensation.

You ever had one of those days where it's so cold that you can't think? Literally, the only thought you're capable of processing is, "Fuck, it's cold!"? That's today. Needless to say, I'm happy to be back inside, where I at least have Midrise's feeble excuse for central heating to keep me thawed. Something tells me I'm going to be very uncomfortable when I have to go back out in the middle of the night, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment