Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Demons of Fleet Street

This past weekend, I finally got around to seeing Sweeney Todd. I first heard about this thing way back at the end of '07, but being the reclusive shut-in that I am, I didn't get out to the theater to see it. Anyway, I ended up renting it this past weekend, so I thought I might as well give a better-late-than-never movie review.

First of all, I had completely forgotten it's a musical. Now, some of you may know, I have an unhealthy history with musicals. My mom has this bizarre fixation with The Sound of Music, and has made me watch it more times than I care to think about. Do you have any idea how ungodly long that film is? Do you?!

Ahem. Moving on.

Johnny Depp and crew gave a moving performance. The writing was superb from start to finish. The distinct visual style made me reminisce of the old days of classic black and white films, but at the same time made great stylistic use of color. The whole thing is an orgiastic feast for the eyes (unless of course blood makes you squeamish). Likewise, the musical score was top notch, and perfectly captured the mood of each scene.

All in all, I'm sure the dark, gothic elements of this story turned off most contemporary movie-goers. But, if you're like me and can appreciate a classic Victorian-esque tragedy (the whole thing just screams Edgar Allan Poe), you're bound to love this movie. So, my deranged little shut-ins, if you haven't see it yet, hurry up and go.

No comments:

Post a Comment